Becca Shelby
Email: BeccaShelby@Gmail.com

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Everyone's a Critic

The fall RTW shows of recent years have been my favorites, so naturally I've been psyched about the approach of fashion week. After a weekend of Valentine festivities, I finally committed this evening to catching up on the shows that I've missed thus far, and I have to be honest - I'm still waiting to fall in love (although in all fairness, we're still awaiting shows from all of the majors).

While the blogosphere is predictably buzzing about Alexander Wang, I can't say I was a fan...at all. Black leggings, black jackets, asymmetry - blah. Simplistic apparel for The Matrix. Not my style. While I love the rough, punked-out heels, bags and belts that are so prominent in fashion these days, I prefer to balance them with more feminine or hippie dresses, etc.



Almost everyone seems on board with this whole black, cutouts and sheer trend-and I admittedly like some of the pieces. I just can't get over my fear of what I KNOW the skankified knockoffs by Bebe and Marciano are sure to look like.
'I work the corner after 2am'-not a look I'm going for. Even scarier than the dresses themselves is that I KNOW how these unknowing consumers will wear them- with hooker heels instead of the demure or masculine alternative to take it down a notch. Unfortunate.
P.S. Cutout knee leggings at Ohne Titel, cutout leggings at Alexander Wang, cutout shoulders at Charlotte Ronson.

*Images @ Style.com*

Is it me or is Charlotte Ronson's line almost a complete departure from what I'd consider to be 'her own style'? It's like she lassoed all things trendy and put them together in her new line in it's attempt at edginess. Admittedly I like some of the studded boots...but would rather buy some from a brand where that image is authentic.
Click Here For Charlotte Ronson's Collection

I liked some of the pieces at Nicholas K-although I'd obviously be wearing them differently than they were styled on the runway- a little cleaner and more feminine.

*Images at WWD*

Lastly, I often love Diane von Furstenberg and when I saw the word "nomad" used in a review I got really, REALLY excited. Unfortunately, I didn't love most of the collection, save a couple of pieces, most notably the dress at left, and the enormous knit cocoon at right.

*Images at WWD*

To be continued as the week and shows press on...

No comments: